Sunday, September 30, 2012

Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia

Today is my last full day in Nova Scotia before boarding the plane and heading back to reality in Edmonton. I'm so sad to be leaving here.

For my final day in Halifax the conference organizers at #Influence12 organized a trip to Peggy's Cove for anyone who was interested. Peggy's Cove is one of the most photographed places in Canada and while tourism is a primary industry now for the tiny community, many of the inhabitants still fish for lobster. In 1998 tragedy struck the small community as Swissair Flight 111 crashed in the waters off of Peggy's Cove, killing all 229 on board.

As a last day to take photographs and spend time with my conference mates it was a magical day, despite the fog and cool wind. While there was work and learning accomplished during this trip, the connections and friendships I've made are well worth it.

The great news is I'm already planning my return out east. I have many friends to see and so much left to do. Thank you Halifax for showing me the best time!
 At the top of the Seaport Farmer's Market (Georges Island in the background)

 Peggy's Cove




 Lobster Lane


 
 Tribute to fishermen & family of Peggy's Cove at the deGarthe Gallery
 
 Local artisans - Wharf Hags

 Lots of lobster traps

The Old Red Schoolhouse
 Peggy's Point looking in at the Sou'wester Restaurant

 Peggy's Point lighthouse


 Tiny cove (either Yankee or Eel - not too sure)


Author Ivan Fraser's front yard

No comments:

Post a Comment